In order to renew a youth or program membership, you must
- Have a log in and password
In order to register for ANY programs offered at the YMCA or Vocational School, the participant MUST become a member. (Enter the information of the child that you will be registering)
- Program Membership is $30.00 this is good for one year
- Youth memberships $140.00 this is also good for one year
After processing the membership, you will be able to login and register for the program of your choice.
Please refer to the program of your choice for rates. Program members pay the program member rate and youth members pay the member rate. (If you think you will register for two of more programs or sessions, you will save $$ if you make the child a youth member)
Do I have to be a member to use the Greater Lowell Family YMCA facilities or programs?
Although a membership is the best way to take advantage of all that the Y has to offer, non-members can use the faciities on a daily fee basis.
What are the Y’s operating hours?
The facility hours are 5:00AM-10:00PM Monday-Friday, 6:00AM-6:00PM Saturday and 7:00AM-4:00PM. Our modified weekend schedule for the Summer months – Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend are Saturday 7:00AM-6:00PM and Sunday 7:00AM-Noon. We are closed on: Christmas, New Year’s Day and Easter Sunday. On Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Thanksgiving 7:00AM-Noon. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve we will close at 4:00PM.
INCLEMENT WEATHER: Staff will open the building as close to opening hours as possible. Safety is our main concern for our staff.
In the event that a State of Emergency is declared, the building will be CLOSED.
What should I do if I lose my membership card?
You should obtain a replacement card at the Welcome Center. There is a $10 charge for a replacement card.
Are there personal trainers available to help me reach my fitness goals?
Yes. For information, contact the Health & Fitness Director at 978-454-7825 x20.
Does the Y take credit card payments?
Payments can be made in cash, check, and credit card (MC, VISA and AMEX).
When will my account be charged for my payment?
Your account will be charged on the 1st or 15th of the month. The date is determined at the time of purchase.
I go away for several months at a time. Can I put my membership on hold?
No. Your membership can be placed on hold for medical reasons only. Visit the Welcome Center to obtain the necessary request form.
How do I cancel my membership?
Membership cancellation requires a 30-day written notice. Visit the Welcome Center to obtain the necessary request form. Cancellations will NOT be accepted via email or fax.
Do fitness classes come with my Y membership?
All fitness classes are included in your membership with the exception of Aqua Arthritis Classes.
Is there financial assistance available to help me afford a Y membership and/or program?
Yes. People Helping People program offers financial assistance for memberships and programs. Visit the Welcome Center to obtain an application.
Can I purchase a “pool use only” membership?
No, pool use only is not an option.
Towel & Tote
All lap swimming and swimming rules may be altered at the discretion of the lifeguards at any time.
Lap lanes are available for lap swimming by all members 13 years and older
Lap lanes can support up to 6 swimmers
Swimmers are encouraged to swim side by side or use circle swimming
Lap lanes may be available for lap swimming by members younger than 13 years old under the following guidelines:
- an adult must be present on the pool deck while the child is in the pool
Younger swimmers are asked to avoid ‘high volume’ times. This is typically during the work week:
- before work hours (7:30AM to 9:00AM)
- at lunch time (12:00PM to 1:00PM)
- immediately after work hours (4:30PM to 6:30PM)
- If a younger swimmer wishes to swim during adult lap times, please try to ‘match’ adult lap manners
- Quieter voices
- Do not splash swimmers in adjacent lanes
- Avoid leaping from the starting blocks
- Enter the water ‘gently’ – especially when an adjacent lap swimmer is approaching you.
- If lap lane use is especially heavy, (all lanes full, adults waiting) the younger swimmers are asked to defer to the adult swimmers
- Some Lap Lanes are now Adult Only
- Adult Only lap lanes are for those 13 years and older
Adult Only lap lanes are marked on the Pool Schedule by @ adult only lap lane times are subject to change.
Private Lessons by a YMCA Instructor may be given at any time the pool is open and may be given to any age group.
Suggestions for steam and dry heat rooms
USE OF YMCA STEAM ROOM AND DRY HEAT ROOM (Sauna)
The steam room temperature ranges between 115 – 125 degrees, with 100% humidity. The average individual can take 4-8 minutes of steam. This is enough time to allow the body to break into a full sweat. Following a workout, when the body is worked up, 4-5 minutes is sufficient, and 6-8 minutes may be needed to gain a full sweat if the body is cold.
• A Steam bath longer than 10 minutes can be dangerous. Long exposure to steam may cause the body to begin dehydration processes and result in nausea, or passing out from heat exhaustion.
• Individuals with cardiac or respiratory conditions should consult their doctor before using the steam room or sauna.
DO NOT EXPECT TO LOSE TRUE BODY FAT BY STEAM BATHS. Weight loss following a steam bath is regained by normal eating and drinking.
Muscle soreness may be somewhat eased and relief gained from taking steam baths.
Following a steam bath, it is a good idea to take a cool or cold shower to close the skin’s pores and avoid colds, particularly in the winter months.
Remember, the steam bath is not a treatment or a cure, but an aid to better body functions, and common sense should guide the individual in their use.
Dry heat sauna room temperature is 170–180 degrees with 5–10 % humidity.
Locker Room Use
Basic/Family Locker Rooms
Women/Girls and Men/Boys
- for use by all members day use ONLY
- member must supply their own lock
Children ages SIX or younger may use either locker room when with a parent/accompanying adult
Children age SEVEN and older must use gender appropriate locker rooms
NO Adult nudity at ANYTIME. This guideline is to protect the children.
Health Centers (Women and Men)
- must be 18 years of age and older
- lockers are for day use only
- member must supply their own lock
- towels must be returned to front desk
Tote lockers can be rented for a fee of $3.50 per month.
CELL PHONE USE IS PROHIBITED IN ALL LOCKER ROOMS AS WELL AS RESTROOMS.